5 But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
1. The Holy Spirit Reveals Truth Primarily Through the Bible
- 2 Timothy 3:14-17 – 14 – Scripture has been inspired by God
2. The Holy Spirit Reveals Salvific Truth About Jesus and About Us
- Matthew 16:15-17 – 15 – Holy Spirit reveals to people about the true identity of Jesus
- Romans 8:14-16 – 14 – Holy Spirit reveals to His children they are His
3. The Holy Spirit Leads and Directs Us
- Mark 1:12 – Holy Spirit guides Jesus into the wilderness
- Acts 15:19-21, 28 – Holy Spirit leads Jerusalem Council to make wise decision
- Acts 8:29 – Holy spirit leads Philip to Ethiopian eunuch
4. The Holy Spirit Convicts Us of Sin, Righteousness, and Judgment
- John 16:8-11
5. The Holy Spirit Teaches Us With Truth and Wisdom
- Ephesians 1:17-19
A lot of inspiration and research has come from Grudem’s Systematic Theology for the sermon this Sunday. If you’re interested in more info, I suggest getting a copy. Great stuff.